Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rashomon first impressions

The film had a lot to say about human morals. I liked the concept behind the plot, but I grew to strongly dislike the way the director filmed it. It seemed like the camera would just sit on a character's face for three minutes longer than it had to. Unfortunately, this slowed down the movie way too much for me.  The viewers spend about four-fifths of the film trying to find out the truth of who killed the husband. There was a lot of hysterical laughing and crying, which came off as fake at some points. But at other times there was absolutely no emotion. Maybe this has something to do with the "lost faith in humanity" bit. I thought that finding justice would be the main message of the film.
But the characters did a fairly good job explaining why they thought what they thought. And they successfully conveyed that it's not about what happened in the past; it's about changing the second we know we have done something wrong. That is why the ending, when the man adopts the baby, was so rewarding. I suffered through the film but finally reached an ending that was conclusive. The man says, "I don't understand my own soul," which sets him apart. Even the priest is not as introspective as he. This movie is about understanding one's soul and knowing enough to change it, which was what I though the wife was trying to get at when she told the two men to fight over her.

No comments:

Post a Comment